Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Crossroads...

I feel like I’m at a bit of a crossroads with the blog.

When I decided to write, I thought it would be a good medium through which to communicate some of the occurrences in our lives – particularly the transition that has taken place over the last 3 years (and continues). On one hand, that’s been achieved – and I’m quite content about it. I’ve avoided tarring and feathering that I feared (at least to date). And it has generated some good discussions. That’s pretty cool.


On the other hand, there’s more to tell, more to explain. But I’ve realized that a blog might not be the medium through which to achieve that required depth of conversation (and that’s a key word). There are some things that I lack the courage to post. And there are other things that Tash’s good judgment has kept me from posting. It’s just not the place – and probably not the time. It’s hard to communicate why we’re reacting to things that our friends and family are still deeply committed and connected to. It’s such a delicate balance to find the place where I’m not insulting and overly critical, but still transparent. We haven’t walked away from a former version of our faith and practice because we don’t like the colour of the curtains at church. There are deep concerns and issues, as we try to figure out what walking with Jesus looks like – especially as we ponder modeling that for our kids.

Maybe finding that balance isn’t possible. You can’t walk through the transition we’ve walked through and not see things very differently. You can’t walk through the questions that arise when you realize that you don’t and can’t believe what you used to – when the options become: 1) I’ve misunderstood the message, or 2) it was all a bunch of crap to begin with – and not see things very differently. Thankfully, we (at least at the present time) are leaning in the direction of number 1. And, like I’ve said in earlier writings, I don’t want to drag anyone through that. I’ve tried to weave high level concepts throughout my writing to give you a window into what has happened to us, but giving more details and maintaining the balance I referred to above just doesn’t seem possible.

Do I really need to tell you I think? I don’t have a sermon I think you need to hear from me. I don’t have an agenda that needs pushing. Obviously, I have opinions - quite a few. And I think there are some things we need to think deeply about – but that doesn’t require my one-way babbling. The more I wrote about Irresistible Revolution, the more I realized that my personal comments and opinions might be important – but only in the context of conversation – not one-way dialogue. My thoughts aren’t that important and are definitely not that correct. Besides, I really believe Christianity is more conducive to community, conversation, and shared journeys and perspectives than it is to one-way sermons.

And then there’s the exposure thing. Maybe this sounds weird, but I have that awkward exposed feeling all the time, now that I’ve shared some of the depth of our experiences. I don’t plan on buttoning up and returning to a cocoon, but I think I’d like to reserve most of that exposure to conversations – where the exposure is shared. (Something tells me that’d be a good starting point for defining real Christian community…)

I’ll keep posting the odd thing here and there. I've been writing things that I don’t post, and I’ll continue to do that. If I can’t resist the urge to share my thoughts, I’ll be sure to give you something to read. But I’m just one guy and we’re just one family on a journey. We have something to add to a conversation, but I’m feeling increasingly uncomfortable telling you what I think (as if you need to think the same way). I might be full of crap.

If, based on what you’ve read or otherwise, there’s something you’d like me to expand on, either privately or on the blog, let me know. And if something I’ve written has generated a response in you and you’d like to write that response, let me know. I’d be more than happy to post your thoughts – whether or not you’re agreeing with me.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for all your comments (here, in email, and in person). Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment