Sunday, January 3, 2010

Here's What's in the Pipeline...

I’m working on a couple more post topics that are near completion. One is on how becoming a father has impacted my view of God. The second is a longer entry on post-modernism (or, more correctly, post-modernity) and how it impacts our approach to living out faith in Christ (despite how boring it sounds). The second is particularly long, so I might try to break it up so the length doesn’t make you puke. After that, I might lay off the long autobiographies for awhile, since I will have summed up a good chunk of the hidden journey we’ve been on. Or maybe I'll think of something else. There are more details, certainly deeper ones, but I’m not sure I’m comfortable sharing those in this context.

I thought now might be a good time to pass on a quote I read yesterday that speaks to some of what I dream of accomplishing here:

"Responses, please remember, are not answers: the latter seek to end conversation while the former seek to stimulate more of it. The responses I offer are not intended as a smash in tennis, delivered forcefully with a lot of topspin, in an effort to win the game and create a loser. Rather they are offered as a gentle serve or lob. Their primary goal is to start the interplay, to get things rolling, to invite your reply." (22-23)
From: A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions That Are Transforming the Faith; by Brian McLaren

Beyond simply communicating what’s occurred in our lives, I would love to generate discussion and deep thinking (not necessarily on this blog - though I’m not opposed to it). Maybe I’m a dreamer. Despite my tone, I’m not trying to lay the smack-down with clear-cut answers, but would rather raise the questions that make us think. In fact, as you'll see in my post-modernism post, our simple answers to complex questions are often more hurtful than helpful. The Christian faith desperately needs its followers to engage in deep thinking and thoughtful discussion. And, as you can tell from my blog posts thus far, I wonder if that’s been occurring with sufficient frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment