Monday, January 18, 2010

Brief Comments on Haiti

No doubt you’ve been thinking a lot about Haiti in the last week. Hopefully we’ve all been able to help in some way, as inconsequential as it seems. Personally, I feel I tremendous amount of helplessness –I’m really not able to do much to help. But, then again, it’s not about me, is it?

As I mentioned in a previous post, Tony Campolo’s work in Haiti is what first sparked my interest in the country. What an unfortunate situation – and I’m talking about before the earthquake. To have poverty that deep, that desperate, and that pervasive in a country situated so closely to our continent of wealth and excess is truly sad. Much more to say – but how can I write about a problem where I’m the more of the cause than solution?

Rather than make further comments, I would recommend this post from Mike Todd’s blog. He raises some very thought-provoking points in response to the earthquake in Haiti. And the comments below his post take the conversation deeper. I’m not sure where poverty and social justice fit on your interest/priority scale – they’re pretty new to my scale, I’m ashamed to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment